Sunday, August 21, 2011

Greensboro, NC: My second favorite NC city!

I love some Greensboro, NC.

I have made some great memories in gboro....I have both nostalgia and a sense of comfort when I visit. Gboro is like an old friend...... We pick up right where we left off. Med school has allowed me to get to know different cities in North Carolina and I LOVE that. As much as I miss my apartment when I'm away from Chapel Hill.... I appreciate what I learn from each town and city.

Well what I have learned in Greensboro this month???


1) Black Girls Run Greensboro!  I was in a patient's room when I looked at the newspaper and saw on the cover of the Gboro newspaper. Black Girls Run! I was SOOO excited. I almost stole the paper from the patient. Poor old man wanted his paper. So I looked around until a nice old man nurse found me a paper. This article about black women running came out one day after I was explaining to my friend during a long run... how much running and going natural has done for my life :-) It was amazing. I felt like I spoke this group into existence! I just told my friend Mariah... yeah a lot of my black girl friends do not run.

That night I found myself at Jaycee park in Greensboro, NC with atleast 20 or more black women running or fighting to become a runner. I was inspired. We are getting up and putting old ways to rest. Kicking obesity to the curb and doing it together. Old and young. Veterans and newbies.. Hitting the trail. What a beautiful thing. All the more reason I love Greensboro. Such a humble, enduring spirit flows through Greensboro. Just regular people raising there families, learning, living and pushing on.  M 7pm. Th 7pm. Sat 6:30am. Jaycee P


SO PROUD OF THESE WOMEN! Fearless.


2) Mind Body Fitness: Yoga. Of course I could not go to greensboro and NOT find a yoga studio. It is not Franklin Street in intensity but I have been able to get my namaste on and keep up my practice. I hope to go this week. Here is the website. http://www.mindbodyfitnessyoga.com/home.html I recommend the Monday and Tuesday Vinyasa class. I also found a place called Free Spirits Yoga. New spot. Need to try it. http://www.freespiritsyoga.com/



3) Maxie B's: BEST BAKERY IN TOWN. http://www.maxieb.com/ Looking for a good spot for sweets and girl talk. You must hit up Maxie B's in gboro. This bakery is Delicious. Comfortable. Affordable. REALLY A GREAT TIME. I went for girl talk time with my friend Mona. We had a great time. Shout out to Mona for taking some of her study time to hang out with me and try maxie b's.  She probably doesn't know... but quality time is my love language. I love to spend time with friends.

4) PARKS IN GREENSBORO: Overall I have been very impressed with the parks in Greensboro. Jaycee Park is really nice. There is also Barber Park which is great!!!  Get outdoors!!

5) Last but not least. Greensboro has a renovated, brand new civil rights museum.      http://www.sitinmovement.org/   I encourage everyone to take a trip to Greensboro, NC to check it out.
We must remember our country's past and push toward an even better future. 



AS ALWAYS STAY FLY FREE AND 25!


http://www.blackgirlsrun.com/

1 comment:

LaVonne said...

A black women's running group?!?!?!?! I WANT ONE!!! Like yesterday! That sounds awesome and VERY inspiring! I need to suggest this to my cousin who teaches in Greensboro...I think she would benefit greatly. I'm so proud of each and every one of you all....