Sunday, April 21, 2013

Another Day Another Dollar

Another long day on the intern struggle bus. 14 hours... and some change..

Today I actually thought.. If I had shadowed an intern physician as a high school student.. I really may have considered other options.

Despite the hours of mundane non direct patient care that fills my day.. There are a few bright moments.

My patient today told me my hair was sexy. As inappropriate as it was.. it made me laugh. Hey.. I'll take what I can get :) #rough out here

The most frustrating thing about the current intern system is how much of my day is sucked up by indirect patient care.... 45 minutes to complete someone's discharge paperwork. Multiply that by 5 patients.. that's an entire day. And then my patient's wonder why they haven't seen their doctor since 7am :(   ... i know.. I'm wondering too.

I am very concerned about the way the medical system is going.. Most of a doctor's day will continue to be mostly documentation. I see a patient for 5 minutes...and I spend 15 minutes documenting it... and then ten minutes finding the chart to put the paper in...

Thank goodness for random laughs throughout the day... One patient told me she likes every other ethnic group except one particular group..... this should not be funny... but what can you do.
Quote of the day:   "I'm not racist though!... I promise.. "  umm humm...

And it never gets old when I can sit with my black patients.. get comfy and casual.. have a heart to heart... tell it like it is.. use a little slang.. keep it real.... let them tell me how i look 17... and see them trust me. Many of them will never have a black doctor again and it is monumental for us both.


SOOOOO despite the struggle.... I am reminding myself... there is a reason why I am putting up with this life or lack there of... . I think...


Shout out to Emerson for hanging out with me this Saturday!! I was a little down from being so tired and he brightened up my day and weekend :) Love ya hun!!


This is how much my phone rang today at work........

 

 

 





















SONG OF THE DAY




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Bri! The phone calls! I'm in shock! Paying for you! Sooo proud of you though! I know you're doing amazing! Love you!
Amanda