Saturday, April 30, 2011

this I believe....

This is a little something I wrote on Friday while waiting for something to do in the clinic...




I believe that turning 25 is so much better than turning 21.
Let me tell you why.

In 2 weeks I will be turning 25 and for me turning 25 means SOOO many different things.
Next year at the age of 25.. I will become an M.D.

As a third year med student graduation is officially in the horizon. I can feel it. I can see it. I can touch it.
For sooo long I wondered if I were meant to be a clinician.
I wondered if getting into Carolina was an accident. 
I thought somehow they let me slip in through a crack.

At 21 I was unsure of the pursuit of a dream that seemed so far away.
I asked the question ... Who would believe?
Believe that I had what it takes?
Believe that my struggles while an undergrad at Carolina were more from being poorly equipped and temporary distractions then from laziness or an unwillingness to work hard. Because clearly that was not the case.

I am so glad that someone believed that I have something to offer the world of medicine. My life is a story filled with triumphs, trials, challenges and testimonies.
From crying on the first day of medical school, to giving my first oral presentation, to standing up to the bully in small group, and we cant forget conquering step 1.

I hope you will believe in that gem in the rough. That student trying to figure out there way in the midst of a convuluted maze.

Then when you meet them again at 25.. or 35.. or maybe even 40.
You'll find confidence, a sense of peace, a patience that all good things will happen with time and hard work.

I hope you will one day believe in someone like me.



This is when I officially knew I was graduating in undergrad. One class was giving me trouble. haha.


The water flowing.. is like my spirit.. Free and Flowing. photo by Candice :-)

2 comments:

Ayesha said...

I loved your speech :) Congrats on being able to see the finish line!

Tavia said...

I love this blog. I definitely can relate to the entire thing! And you are right, 25 is great. Look at where we were at 21 and where we are today. Life is great here in the "mid twenties." I also feel like you touched on a few things that many of us have probably felt over the years but were too ashamed to admit it out loud. I had many days during first year I cried and questioned if I was in the right place, if this is what I am supposed to do, and felt like I was the only one going through it. Things really do come into perspective.