Thursday, December 29, 2011

Reading is SO good for the SOUL

Reading is SO good for the SOUL

As always I keep a long list of books that I am attempting to read... Wellllllllll!!! I finally read a few. Thanks to Christmas vacation :) Praise God! It was the break I needed. 


My honest thoughts on each of my recent reads :)

1) THE CONVERSATION by Hill Harper:
I was skeptical at first to read this. I did not want to read another relationship guide or how to get a man book. After hanging out with my friend Asherah and hearing her positive review I said why not!
I actually enjoyed reading this book by Hill Harper. He wrote this from a very genuine and honest place. I think he asks many of the same questions that I often have. He did not shy away from addressing relationships in black people. Which personally speaking.. I can appreciate. I do not pretend that the history of our country has not impacted issues of race. It has created deep issues that we often try to pretend do not exist. I not only read this book and enjoyed it but I also used it to create interesting and engaging conversation with my family. I do not take for granted that I am surrounded with marriages that are not only surviving but thriving. Grandparents 50+ years, parents 26 years, aunt and uncle 30+ years. This book encouraged me to ask questions and listen. When my day comes I hope I can use the wisdom of my loved ones to build a beautiful endearing relationship.

I give this book 4 stars! out of 5 :)  Quick read! Honest Writer! Entertaining content!

2) ONE DAY IT'LL ALL MAKE SENSE by COMMON:
I am definitely a Common fan. I was interested in learning more about Common Sense and hearing what he has to say.  I will say this book started a little slow for me. It did improve. I think some of the trouble is the flow of the work. The chapters are interrupted by letters from his mother throughout the book which made the memoir a little choppy for me at times.
Once the story moved passed Common's childhood I was more engaged. I am overall really glad I read this work and as a fan feel more connected with Common. This book also encouraged me to bust out and dust off my old d'angelo CDs. That brother was goood. And who knew D'angelo produced most of erykah badu's first album! brown sugar baby... I get high of your .. :)

I give Common's book 3 out of 5 stars! A great read. Entertaining stories. If you love hip hop you will especially enjoy this read.


3) A BELLE IN BROOKLYN by Demetria L. Lucus:
I think this book is misleading. This is not really a relationship guide. The author does a great job of pulling together entertaining, interesting, and humbing stories from her days in nyc. She uses these stories to offer lighthearted but well needed advice. I was very glad that this book was not the typical steve harvey format. I am tired of step 1 meet a man.. step 2 give him your number... step 3 try and marry him.  This book made me laugh, almost made me cry and reminded me of adventures with my girls.
It was a wonderful quick, lighthearted read.

I give this book a very strong 4 out of 5 stars :) Great! Quick! Lighthearted!










Next up..

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
A Tree Lives in Brooklyn (a classic I've always wanted to read)
Cutting for Stone


No comments: