Saturday, December 10, 2011

Natural Hair Update

Well.... Just like any chic. I love my hair. I want healthy hair. Lately my strands have been struggling. My twist outs were coming out frizzy and puffy, my hair felt really dry and I was getting single strand knots throughout my hair.

I decided to get my hair professionally done for the first time in 2 years. I do not know WHY it took me so long. Actually I do.. Hairstylists are so expensive and often not very professional. Anyway.

Natural hair does not automatically mean healthy hair. I have been in need of an intervention. 

I went to a salon in Atlanta over thanksgiving. http://www.liketheriver.com/site/

drum roll... I got my hair straightened. I am not going to lie. It was tough. I was very scared my hair would not curl back up. I did not feel like myself... I remembered my old perm days when my self esteem was linked with my perm touch up schedule. I felt like a part of me was conforming to the American standard of beauty and I felt like I no longer stood out from everybody else with a perm. (Just keeping it real) The best part about straightening my hair was pinning my hair back.

Anywho... This was a good decision. I had at least 1-2 inches of split ends that needed trimmed. 

Although straightening my hair will not be a regular occurrence.. I was scared of sweat, water and humidity. I will be getting professional trims regularly from here on out. My hair FEELS SO GOOD! AND it curled back up. 


NEW THINGS I have LEANED ABOUT MY HAIR!!!!

1) Mayonnaise!! A great conditioner. YES! I put mayo in my hair and kept it in for 35 minutes. Gross but afterwards my hair felt incredible. 

2) Olive Oil! A great daily moisturizer. Who knew natural oils were so great for natural hair. Since my recent trim/cut Olive Oil in my hair has really been great for my hair. 

3) TRIMS. every 6-8 weeks. I must get regular trims. I must DO BETTER!!! 

Steam treatment. ??

Verdict is still out on these steam treatments

I felt like the Jackson 5


My hair looks so dry.. I must do better.

Whew those ends look HORRIBLE!

Oh goodness..



Trying to decide if I liked it..



No comments: