Monday, May 23, 2011

Compassion......

Today I finished my first overnight shift on my OB rotation.. I barely made it through. 5:30pm to 7:30am

I literally almost fell out while in a patients room.. I wasn't sure who was struggling the most. Me or the patient.

In the midst of my delirium I was able to ask myself where does the young doctor in their career begin to lose their compassion? For some reason as we physicians get further along... it feels as though we lose our humaness, compassion, and forget why we chose this profession.

Today we had two ladies who came to the hospital.. both very far along in their pregnancies. Neither of the two ladies had any prenatal care prior to this visit and were both in their 3rd trimester. As dissapointing as this was I felt the need to still treat both of these woman with dignity and respect. Sadly this is not always the case.

I felt an environment and tone of disgust around me. A sense of.. "how could you do that to your baby?".. "If they don't care.. I don't care?"   And with so many expressing there disdain in the situations of these two ladies.. i felt that I could not say anything to change the tone or outlook. straddling the fence between playing the fake game of being a 3rd year and being the individual that i am..  i was stuck.

Should we care for these women?  Is it our job to care for individuals no matter what the circumstance? 

Where does the change in our thinking occur? Is it from the impressions left on us by peers or the long work hours.. or the fact that residents treat the poor and get paid so little.

I honestly was embarrased at how quickly we smiled in these people's face and quickly turned  around and spoke badly about them. No wonder folks do not want to trust us...


I guess today reminded me of why I am in this field.. I want to be a voice of genuine compassion and I hope to never lose that. Whatever job or profession you are in.. I hope you can find that compassion and do not lose it.. If you feel it slipping away. Grab it.


Romans 12: 6-8
We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith;  if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

fabulous post Briana!!! I am going to think of that scripture when I get frustrated with a patient. It isn't my job to judge. It's my job serve! :-)