Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Age of 25

Hey Friends! For your sunday afternoon pleasure I would like you to meet my friend LaVonne. We have been friends for awhile. We have watched each other grow and reach our dreams. Enjoy her story. by the way.. she's 25 :-)   And what made our friendship last past college when others faded because believe me.. we have fussed too :-0.. LaVonne is real. No fakeness on top to cover insecurities. She is genuine and cares about her friends. In 2 weeks she will officially get that MD.


LaVonne completed her first half marathon! go girl!


April 5, 2011….I’d made my appointment about a week prior and asked my classmate and close friend if she would go with me for support and to take pics J. I came to the decision that no longer would I sacrifice my health or time in order to have the perfect “look”. I was FINALLY comfortable enough to start over with complete disregard to anyone else’s opinion….I was FINALLY learning to appreciate me for ME. After I got to the salon, I waited anxiously to get it over and done with. The stylist washed and conditioned my hair, sat me under the dryer, and about 30 minutes later picked out my mini-fro and started the clippers. She let me see myself in the mirror throughout the cut, and as more and more of my hair hit the floor, I knew there was absolutely no turning back. After about 20 minutes, she finished evening it out and sent me on my way….I’d never felt more beautiful than at that moment. My big chop was complete!! With the exception of my Dad and StepDad, most have been very supportive and complimentary. Which I appreciate.
Growing up I always felt that if my hair wasn’t pretty, then I wasn’t. It also didn’t help that my family and the majority of those around me believed that only long and flowing (and straight) hair was beautiful, and if your hair wasn’t all of the above, it was “nappy” and unattractive. I’ll never forget so often wishing my hair looked like the white girls in class, I mean after all, that’s all I saw on television, in videos, books and magazines. I even remember being picked on in elementary school because my hair was thick and extremely long, but looked nothing like those around me. I got a relaxer when I was 7 or 8 and even though it burned my scalp, I thought it was the best thing ever. My Mom felt that my hair was “easier to deal with” and I thought I was prettier since my hair was bone straight and longer. …little did I know that over the years, my hair would break off more than I could ever imagine and I would NEVER experience the length or thickness that I once had prior to “Just For Me”.
A couple years ago I began to realize how much my “good” and “bad” hair days truly affected my self-esteem, my confidence, and my overall sense of self. Regardless of the damage being done to my hair, my scalp, or my health, my hair had to look perfect or I felt a certain kind of way. After what some may call the “natural hair movement” began a couple years ago, I took notice of the beauty that was natural African-American hair…and consequently, African-American women. Seeing other gorgeous black women sport what was naturally given them was truly inspiring, and while I always complimented them, I followed with “but I could never rock that”. Besides, my forehead and nose are too big, I have acne, etc. etc. etc.…so it definitely wouldn’t look right…I needed my hair to hide behind. Really?? Lordy…smh. I came to the realization that neither make-up nor hair would change my physical appearance and I needed to accept my beauty as is and kick my insecurities out the front door.

Over the past year and ½, I have truly grown to know who I am and whose I am. First and foremost, I’m a child of God and I live to serve and honor Him. In Solomon 4:7, He says “You are altogether beautiful, my darling; there is no flaw in you” and although He was referring to the church instead of a young woman specifically, I am part of that church and believe the verse wholeheartedly. Noone else’s opinion matters, as long as He thinks I’m beautiful…then I am. I am no longer self-conscious about my physical appearance and I don’t need to hide behind my hair, weight loss antics, or anything else society deems as a necessity in order to feel beautiful and acceptable. I am finally comfortable with who I am…and I thank God for the growth He has allowed me to experience as of late. I have come such a long way and look forward to sharing my thoughts on this hair journey with you all.




STAY FLY AND 25



Dr. LaVonne

This is throwback Lavonne


Just a reminder.. I chopped mine all off too!

I used to love my little wrap and flow! LOL. :-) I was serious.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And have I told you vonny that you look absolutely Beautiful with your hair!! Only when we stop looking for the approval of others and accepting and loving who we are, will we truly be happy. As long as you went natural for you and you love it, that is all that matters! I have said this to MANY black women have undergone the transition and have doubt, especially when they get the side eye from people about their hair being natural. Stay strong and keep working to be the woman God wants you to be, because in the end, his opinion is the only one that matters, and since he created you, he knows you are beautiful, even if your hair is not straight, long and flowing.:-)Stephanie L.

Camille said...

LaVonne--this is amazing! It's such a beautiful thing to come into tune with you are you are! Hair, makeup, fitness, all that is wonderful yes but I believe that it is this "awakening" that has you looking so wonderfully refreshed & amazing hon! -Camille

Dr. Ronda Taylor Bullock said...

LaVonne, this is a beautifully written post. People go natural for many different reasons, and I'm glad that you have such an inspirational story with your transition. You'll be surprised by the number of people who will notice your naturalness and you'll be surpised by the number of people you'll influence. And it won't just be because of your hair; it will be because of your aura, your spirit. You're an amazing woman of God and I'm here if you ever need encouragement or hair advice. Love ya ~Ronda