Tuesday, August 20, 2013

call

8:30 am The day started out hectic. One of those.. I should have arrived 10 minutes earlier type of days.

4pm: The afternoon started with a VIP patient whose family didn't want anything to do with me. Not surprising. It's not the first time. Care gets bumped up the food chain. (see previous post)

8pm: The night continued with the awkward feeling of... Am I really a resident.. And how do I teach an intern when I was just one. shrug.. .here it goes...

3:30am: let me lay my head down. Call door closes. "Bleep Bleep" (text page: ED admit) Darn.

4:30am: Well atleast the admit is super nice and cute.

5am: foggy. I hope everyone has labs... Cause if they don't.. its too late.

6am: rude call from phleb.... After I sent a friendly text. SMH.

630am: Unit clerk, Bri why are your eyes so red. Oh honey she says....  My thought (I hope I don't see anyone cute today ;)  )  and yeah I let a few folks call me Bri :)

7am: Day team is coming in.. Updates, this is what I got. "oh you would've done what? Oh... " :/

8:30am: rounding. Of course we start with VIP.

11:30am.. still rounding

1:00PM  Last patient says... "you come back here. ME: Yes mam. Patient: You know I'm proud of you. Me: You are? Patient: You know why? Cause you look like me :) as she squeezes my cheek. " 

At the end of the day there are always subtly reminders why I do this. 

Lord keep my compassion fresh and passion pure while I deal with the craziness of this job and remember that my people need me. Simply because I look like them. In a country where that is enough to offer comfort before I even open my mouth I hope I continue to walk with confidence, humility and integrity. 






No comments: